Tartan

The official tartan of the City of Dorval, created by the Dorval Weavers' Guild, was unveiled on February 12, 2010, at the Dorval Museum of Local History and Heritage. The tartan has also been registered in Scotland with the Scottish Register of Tartans. The design was inspired by the City’s coat of arms, and the selected colours reflect Dorval's history, geography, beautiful surroundings, and its joie de vivre.

In 1667 the Sulpicians, lords of the island of Montreal, established a mission on the southwest side of the island, the present day site of the City of Dorval. This mission was located on the shores of Lake Saint Louis, an integral part of the mighty Saint Lawrence River.  The river was, and remains, an important seaway used first by the Amerindians in their bark canoes, then by the French colonists, followed by the British colonists after the defeat of the French in 1789, and today by a fleet of lakers and numerous pleasure craft. When the priests and French colonists arrived, the area had already been occupied for centuries by the Amerindians. In 1670, the Sulpicians built a fort and the domain took on the name of Fort de la Présentation1.

In 1685, the Sulpicians ceded the domain to Agathe de Saint-Perre who, in 1691 sold the concession to Jean-Baptiste Bouchard dit d’Orval, a voyageur and fur-trader who eventually made history by passing on his name to the City of Dorval.

With the coming of the railway in 1851, Dorval entered the modern era. Among other things, the railway brought to the region a wealthy, influential Montreal bourgeoisie seeking a summer holiday retreat. Many of these families were Scottish or of Scottish descent. Their arrival would have a lasting impact on the social and political fabric of Dorval.

In 1941 the Dorval Airport was officially opened in order to serve as the headquarters of the Royal Air Force Ferry Command whose mission was to fly airplanes to the United Kingdom in support of the Allied Forces. More than 9,000 planes were deployed between 1941 and 1945.

After the Second World War the airport would become what is now the Montreal-Trudeau International Airport, attracting more than 25,000 people a day from all corners of the world. Nevertheless, Dorval is proud to be, first and foremost, a verdant residential city endowed with many parks and waterfront walkways.

The creation of the tartan was based on the history, the geography, and the coat of arms of the City.

·         The yellow/gold border represents the Fort de La Présentation and honours Sieur Bouchard dit d’Orval and all others who contributed to the evolution of Dorval.

·         The blue reflects the colour of Lac Saint-Louis and the St. Lawrence Seaway. It also illuminates our affiliation with Quebec.

·         The brown pays tribute to the Amerindians and recalls the bark of their canoes.

·         The black stands for the transportation system for which Dorval is a hub: airport, railways and highways.

·         The green evokes the parks and gardens that have replaced the farms of the first settlers and that give Dorval its charm and reputation.

·         The red shows Dorval’s allegiance to Canada.

·         The white is a reflection of the silver in the coat of arms.

·         The heart of the tartan’s design embodies the City’s motto “Ego Porta Mundi” meaning “I am the Door of the World”.

1 It should be noted that this “fort”, if indeed there was a fort, was probably not more than a small parcel of land surrounded by a palisade of wooden stakes anchored in the ground. The presence of this fort is recognized by some historians and refuted by others. However we are relying on the records of Désiré Girouard, a lawyer, renowned historian, first mayor of Dorval in 1892 and a judge of the Supreme Court of Canada.

© , Guilde des Tisserands de Dorval – Dorval Weavers’ Guild.